In “Everyday customer retention,” featured in a past issue of Professional Carwashing & Detailing, Group Editorial Director/Editor in Chief Rich DiPaolo shares insight into how new carwashes can retain loyal customers.
“From quick interactions at the cashier area or the point-of-sale (POS) system to hard-pitch selling, there are many ways to inform customers of your business’ loyalty program for carwashing and other services,” asserts DiPaolo in the article. “As a proactive, new carwash business owner, you most likely did your research and understand the benefits of offering loyalty programs. However, the owners and operators who succeed in this industry never lose sight of this effective business approach to creating a loyal customer base.”
If properly implemented and supported, says Bonnie McMillian, vice president of sales and marketing for DRB Systems, in the article, a carwash’s loyalty program can run like a well-oiled machine. However, too often “loyalty programs are created and then neglected, resulting in only small increases in customer loyalty,” she adds.
To be successful, explains McMillian in the article, carwashes should surround their loyalty programs with daily activities centered on reinforcing the programs’ value.
In the article, she continues by sharing seven quick ways carwashes can support their loyalty programs.
- Meet with employees so they understand your loyalty campaign and can communicate its value.
- Provide scripts and tips to make it easy for staff to engage customers.
- Keep customers informed of upcoming promotions.
- Ask customers if they are receiving your emails and texts. Would they like to?
- Provide reminders to your customers, such as “Check out our website for discounts.”
- Distribute targeted samples or promotional items, such as calendars with wash specials.
- Conduct follow-up campaigns.
Any new investor can build repeat business by following these seven best practices, which can in turn lead to new referral business. You can learn more about retaining a strong customer base here.