View Cart (0 items)

Defining paint finishing terms

October 26, 2011
/ Print / Reprints /
| Share More
/ Text Size+


High-speed buffer: Pneumatic or electric rotary buffer.

Orbital waxer: Pneumatic or electric orbital or dual action tool for wax/sealant application only.


100 percent wool cutting pad: For aggressive cutting on single stage paint finishes.

Poly/wool cutting pad combination: 50/50 polyester and wool cutting pad for use on clear coat finishes.

Foam cutting pad: Denser foam that provides a cutting action on any paint finish.

Foam polish pad: Less dense foam that removes swirls, light scratches, etc.

Fine finish polish pad: Extremely soft foam pad that can be used for dark colored cars to polish out fine scratches.

Terry Bonnet: The bonnet used over the orbital drive pad to apply and remove wax or sealant.


800 grit compound: Heavy-duty compound

1200 grit compound: Medium duty compound

2000 grit compound: Light duty compound

One Step Plus: A product used to correct, polish (2000 Grit) and protect in one step.

Fine Finish Plus: Micro fine compound

Swirl/Away Polish: Combination swirl remover and polish

Diamond Plus: An amino-function silicone paint sealant

Sealant: Protection product

Carnauba Wax: A wax protection product

Recent Articles by Bud Abraham