- Buyer's Guide
- Got A Question?
• Unitec Electronics, a manufacturer of carwash entry and payment systems, has named Andrew “Drew” Ryan as its new director of sales. Ryan will represent the company on a worldwide basis and will work out of the Elkridge, MD, headquarters.
President and CEO Pam Piro said in a statement, “Unitec is proud to have Drew join our team. His experiences in strategic sales planning and business development across various supply channels will be valuable assets to Unitec in this dynamic market environment.”
Ryan also said he is excited to join the company. “It is clear that Unitec is the leader in unattended payment systems and is well positioned to excel during these shifting economic times,” he said.
• The Western Carwash Association (WCA), is asking for immediate action regarding the enactment of AB 132. Law AB 132 would give the Labor Commissioner diplomacy regarding carwash operators who failed to register with the Labor Board as well as permission to penalize operators who were evading labor laws.
• The National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS), announced that c-store sales grew 4.4 percent in 2010, reaching a record $190.4 billion. The figures were announced at the annual NACS State of the Industry Summit, a two-day conference that reviews and analyzes the industry’s key economic indicators.
The growth rate of c-store sales surpassed the growth rate of other competing channels, including warehouse stores, restaurants, drug stores and grocery stores. The growth can be attributed to an increase in the number of stores. The number of U.S. c-stores increased 1.2 percent over the past year and stands at a record 146,341 stores.
• Steve D’Occhio of Mario’s Car Wash and Mark DiTommaso of Autoshine Car Wash Systems were the big winners at the Connecticut Carwash Association’s 22nd Annual Mini Expo, which was held in Cromwell, CT, last March.
D’Occhio drew the winning ticket for the $1,000 cash prize, and DiTommaso drew the winning ticket for overnight accommodations and registration to the Northeast Regional Carwash Convention in October.
• The sun has set on another Car Care World Expo (CCWE), and International Carwash Association Executive Director Eric Wulf told PC&D, “With more exhibits, more carwashes represented and near overflow educational session attendance, it was an upbeat and exciting atmosphere at CCWE 2011.”
A much buzzed about part of the Expo, held May 2-4 at the Las Vegas Sands Expo and Convention Center, was the keynote address featuring Joe Theismann a former quarterback for the Washington Redskins whose career was cut short after his leg was broken during a televised Monday Night Football game. Theismann spoke on the “Challenge of Change,” and told a packed room about how to face challenges and how to keep a positive mental outlook, even during tough times.
On May 2, Dave Krause, CEO of Lustra Car Care Products, was presented with the Brian Campbell Leadership in Innovation award during the welcoming reception. The award was in recognition of Lustra’s Ultraflex® system of ultra concentrated carwash chemicals and equipment. “This award is for true ingenuity in the development of carwash products or process,” said Wulf.