- Message Boards
- Buyer's Guide
- Ask the Experts
• Anthony Antonis has been named the new vice president of sales for the central region of the U.S. at MacNeil Wash Systems.
Antonis will be responsible for the sales and distributor development for the central region of the U.S., along with managing certain national and international accounts. Antonis spent four years as an owner of a high volume full-service carwash in southern California, was a distributor based in Taiwan for Hanna Car Wash Systems and Istobal Wash Equipment, and served as vice president for U.S. distributor sales for Hanna Car Wash Systems. Previously, he was also national sales manager for the Jim Coleman Company, Hanna Tunnel Division.
• Jerry Feldman, owner of three carwash locations in this state, along with his son Mark, was awarded the 2010 Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection for implementing water conservation measures at his three carwash locations.
In Other News
• Washworld has named Car Wash Solutions, Inc., based in Dixon, KY, its new distributor for the northern Kentucky area.
Terry Turner, owner and president of Car Wash Solutions, has been in the carwash industry for over 19 years and is the owner/operator of eight of self-serve/touchless IBA carwash sites.
Washworld, Inc. manufactures touchless and soft cloth in-bay automatic systems.
• Advanced Car Wash Systems is now the distributor of PDQ Manufacturing’s full line of equipment and supplies in the Southeast market.
Advanced Car Wash Systems, based in Marietta, GA, will serve Georgia, Alabama and the panhandle region of Florida with warehouses in Marietta and Moultire, GA, as well as Birmingham, AL.
• Mark VII Equipment Inc., has now formed WashTec Australia Pty Ltd for direct sales and service of WashTec and Mark VII carwash systems in Australia.
The new branch will be headquartered in Sydney.
Mark VII is the U.S. subsidiary of WashTec AG of Germany, a global supplier of carwash systems and equipment.
• Warsaw Chemical recently launched a new website which is geared exclusively toward detailers, www.carchoicedetail.com.
The site features the company’s car care product line which includes the waterless product Clean-n-Shine, as well as Showroom Shine, Wheel Polish, Dual Action Glass Cleaner, Polyshine Hand Wash-n-Polish, and detailing accessories.
President Ken Bucher said, “[W]e took our time and worked with a professional web designer to put together a web site that we are proud of. The look, the feel and the operation of the web site are truly what we were looking for.”
• The Southeast Car Wash Association (SECWA) held its most successful road show to date on February 14 and 15 in Savannah, GA,.
The success of the show is based on its attendance, which reached 135 attendees, a record for SECWA’s regional road tour series.
The road show featured six round table discussions on the first day of the meeting, covering topics from modern construction and customer loyalty/marketing to social media and energy management.
The second day of the meeting included a panel of experts who had over 200 years of carwash experience thus addressing the past, present, and the future of the carwash industry.
The tour, hosted by Robert Greene, president of Car Wash Express, Inc., included a full service carwash, express carwashes, and a new concept gated self-service carwash.
The next Regional Road Show will be held July 25 and 26 in Memphis, TN.
• The Car Wash Operators of New Jersey (CWONJ) came together on April 20 for their annual carwash tour and membership meeting.
“You couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day to tour washes,” said CWONJ President Gerry Barton. “We certainly got our money’s worth today.”
The group toured three carwashes, Manahawkin Magic Wash in Manahawkin, NJ, PJ’s Express in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, and a standalone automatic adjacent to a Super WaWa in that same city.
The meeting included a buffet lunch at Sea Oaks Country Club in Egg Harbor, NJ, and was sponsored by Platinum Sponsors Beckerman Insurance Co., ICS and ZEP, and several other companies at Gold and Silver levels.
The Association’s next event is its 10th Annual Golf Invitational, June 14, at Suburban Country Club in Union.
• The New York State Car Wash Association (NYSCWA) used Skype software to provide its membership with a virtual meeting this April 14.
“The Skype technology enabled us to see and hear our speaker even though he was in Minnesota,” said NYSCWA President Mark Kubarek. “It was really neat and tied into our topic of how to best use social media to market your wash.”
Approximately 45 operators attended the Association’s spring membership meeting and dinner at The Clarion Hotel at The Century House in Latham, NY. The event ran from 6-9 p.m. and was sponsored by Simoniz USA, Mang Insurance and the Northeast Carwasher magazine.
Industry marketing guru Ryan Carlson of washideas.com spoke for more than an hour on “Essential Marketing in Today’s Economy.” He explained to attendees how to best use Facebook and Twitter, and offered marketing tips.
The association’s next event is its annual trip to CitiField, June 22, when the NY Mets play the Detroit Tigers.
• Nearly 100 carwash operators and vendors attended the Connecticut Carwash Association’s (CCA) 21st Annual Mini Expo at the Marriott Courtyard in Cromwell, CT, this March.
Andy Jackie of Sno-White Car Wash won a flat screen television in a raffle prize provided by CCA vendors, including event sponsors Blendco, C.A.R. Products, ECP, Jobe, Kleen-Rite Corp., Mang Insurance, Micrologic, Northeast Carwasher, Sonny’s, Simoniz USA and United Industrial Services.
Mark DiTommaso of Auto Shine Car Wash Systems was also a winner, walking away with a trip for two to the Northeast Regional Carwash Convention this fall.
“Our show is intimate and a great way to see what’s new and to catch up with fellow operators,” said CCA President Joe Tracy. “I look forward to it every year.”