- Message Boards
- Buyer's Guide
- About Us
Five improvements worth considering
By Mike Lefever of the Kleen-Rite Corp.
- Meter boxes. New meter boxes make a big impression on the customer since this is how they make payment and interact with the equipment. You can offer credit card and bill acceptance as well as coins, and go with a switch that has more selections giving you the capability of adding more options to the bays. Custom meter box decals are also a nice touch. Having your own logo and color scheme on the decals makes them stand out from generic decals.
- Wall coverings. Putting up PVC wall panels or a fresh coat of paint(possibly using one of the newer paint systems that applies a clear coat over the color coat, giving a nicer looking and more durable finish) is like a night and day change in your bay appearance.
- New functions. New functions are always a good way to provide more value to your customers. Everyone has the standard wash/rinse/wax/foam brush, and most modern carwashes have functions such as presoak, tire cleaner, and spot free, but there are some newer options, such as triple foam, tire shine and air dry. The air dryers in particular have proven to be very popular with customers.
- Booms. When adding new functions to the bay that require their own hose and gun, the walls can get a bit cluttered with extra booms and hoses. To combat this, “Z-style” booms are becoming more popular. They allow you to mount multiple booms on the ceiling that will still clear each other, freeing up wall space and also making it easier for the customer to completely circle their vehicle than with wall booms.
- Signs, hoses, guns, brushes, etc. These are the other items that the customer looks at and interacts with when in the bay. It gives a better impression if signs are bright and not faded and hoses and brushes are clean and appear relatively new.