- Message Boards
- Buyer's Guide
- Ask the Experts
What things should car-care professionals consider when selecting a new wand to perform upholstery and carpet cleaning? These are Marinella’s suggestions:
- Weight. As referenced earlier, this can be an issue because a heavier wand does have its benefits. But, if too heavy, the wand will be too difficult to work with. Look for a wand that is light yet provides an effective “seal” to the carpet and upholstery to work effectively.
- Ergonomics. Ergonomic means the tool is designed to work with the user. Along with being light, the wand or hand tool should be comfortable to work with in all kinds of positions. Remember, car upholstery and carpets are contoured to the car with few flat areas.
- Durability. Some wands are exceptionally durable but because they are so heavy, they are hard to use. Rotationally molded wands are proving to be some of the most durable — and lightweight — available.
- Glide. Some wands now have customized glide-holders molded right into the head of the wand for greater durability. Because of the materials used and the custom fit, they glide over the carpet, making the extraction process much easier for the technician.
- Advice. One of the most important business relationships a car-care professional can ever make is with a knowledgeable, trustworthy distributor. If you have such a person, they can be an excellent source of information on wands and all types of business products.
Robert Kravitz is a writer for the professional cleaning industry. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org