- Message Boards
- Buyer's Guide
- About Us
• Harlan Wawrzyniak was awarded the Cengage Learning/ASE Master Automobile Technician of the Year by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) together with Delmar, a provider of learning solutions for career development and education. Wawrzyniak received a cash prize, as well as an all-expenses-paid trip to the ASE’s annual Board of Director’s Industry Awards Dinner for achieving the highest composite score on the ASE certification exams.
Wawrzyniak has been an automotive technician for 40 years and is the owner of Harlan’s Auto Repair in Silver Lake, MN. Along with his passion for cars and sports, Wawrzyniak takes pleasure in owning and operating his own business, and is pleased with his accomplishments on the ASE exams.
• Justin Testa has been named the new president of Onset, a provider of data logger technology and weather station products used in a broad range of applications. Testa is the former executive vice president and business unit manager for Cognex Corporation. He holds a Master of Business Administration from the Carroll School of Management at Boston College and a Bachelor of Arts from Boston University.
In Other News
• Zep Inc. has acquired Amrep, Inc., a manufacturer of chemicals for the detailing market, as well as the janitorial market sold through distributors.
The company paid a cash purchase price of approximately $64.4 million, subject to post-closing working capital adjustments. Amrep will maintain its commercial organizations, brands, and go-to-market strategies as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Zep Inc.
Zep hopes to “expand its presence in a number of end markets while minimizing channel conflict through the manufacture of both private branded products and national brands” and the acquisition is a part of this process.
The acquisition also allows Zep Inc. to enter the U.S.-based Asian OEM market, the release said, which represents an entirely new and potentially significant growth opportunity.
• International Lubricants, Inc. (ILI) is the recent recipient of a lubricant technology award from the research and consulting firm Frost & Sullivan.
The 2009 North American Technology Leadership Award is in recognition of the company’s accomplishments in the lubricant additives industry, which includes its formulation of LXE® (Liquid Wax Ester) Technology, a synthetic molecular replacement for sperm whale oil.
The company holds several hundred worldwide patents and has won numerous technology and product awards in addition to the Frost & Sullivan prize.
• The windshield repair equipment company Delta Kits is marking its 25 years in business and said that 2009 was its most successful year yet, despite a lukewarm economy.
The company said it saw record sales in 2009, with the month of April being its most successful, and saw a 30 percent increase in sales compared to 2008. It trained over 100 windshield repair technicians in 2009 and will hold its first training and certification class in Clearwater, FL, on Jan. 17, 2010.
• AMSOIL, the synthetic lubrication company, has partnered with Popular Hot Rodding Magazine to sponsor the 2010 Engine Masters Challenge, a world renown engine building competition.
The competition features engine builders from around the world who work to build the most powerful of engines. AMSOIL lubricants will be used in the competition.
Dyno test pulls will help determine the winners who will win a case price and AMSOIL products.
The competition is slated for Oct. 4-8 at the University of Northwestern Ohio in Lima, OH.
The International Carwash Association™ has announced its 2010 Board of Directors, as well as instated Jeff Gheysens, owner of Sparkle Kleen Car Wash, as its new president.
Gheysens assumed his position on Jan. 1. He has served on the Board of Directors since 2004 and was elected Association Treasurer in 2008 and Association Vice President in 2009.
In addition to his service for the ICA, Gheysens has been a part of the carwash industry since childhood, when his family established Cumberland Carwash, a self-service location, in Vineland, NJ. He now owns and operates Sparkle Kleen carwash and is developing a second location.Joining Gheysens in a new role on the International Carwash Association Board of Directors are Operator Directors:
- Bruce Arnett Jr., chief operations officer, Mr. Clean Carwash in Duluth, GA; and
- Gary Dennis, managing member, Mammoth Holdings, LLC dba Ultra Car Wash in Atlanta, GA.
- Mike Savignac, president, PDQ Manufacturing, Inc. A Dover Company in De Pere, WI; and
- Henry (Hank) Richard, presidentn and CEO, Car Wash Technologies, L.P. in Cranberry Township, PA.
- Operator Vice President, John Pierce, Autowash Express, Knoxville, TN;
- Vendor Vice President, Steve Barram, Integrated Services, Inc., Portland, OR;
- Treasurer, Jerry Miller, Jerry’s Express Car Wash, Fort Worth, TX;
- Immediate Past President, Lisa Lyons, Buggy Bath Car Washes, San Diego, CA;
- Mark Curtis, Splash Car Wash, Stamford, CT;
- Al MacDonald, Canadian Tire Corporation, Toronto, Canada;
- John Lai, Mister Car Wash, Tucson, AZ;
- Scott Freund, Prowash, Inc., Union, NJ;
- Russell Coleman, Jim Coleman Company, Houson, TX;
- Pamela Piro, Unitec Electronics, Elkridge, MD; and
- Murray Kennedy, Mark VII Equipment, Inc., Arvada, CO.