Three dead after carwash chemical poisoning
CHANGSHA, CHINA — Three of four people who were exposed to toxic fumes inside a chemical truck at a carwash here died, according to the People’s Daily Online.
The May 30 story stated that a sanitation worker was cleaning the inside of the truck’s tank when he fainted. The tanker truck’s driver and two onlookers rushed in to rescue the worker, and all four were poisoned by the toxic fumes.
Firefighters took all four people to a local hospital for treatment, and there three of them died, according to municipal authorities in the city of Hengyang.
The fire department said proper equipment and protective outfits are required to clean chemical tanks, and carwashes do not typically possess this equipment.