Professional Carwashing & Detailing

Carwash boiler starts destructive fire

August 7, 2012

OTTUMWA, IA — A carwash fire at a BP station here caused approximately $20,000 in damage, and the carwash will be shut down about a week, according to heartlandconnection.com.

The Aug. 2 story stated that firefighters responded to the blaze on Wednesday night, and the fire was caused by gasoline fumes.

“They had a quick fire. They has some gasoline that was in the bay, fumes drifted into the mechanical room, the boiler had kicked-on to heat the water in the car wash, and it had lighted the fumes,” Fire Chief Tony Miller said in the story. “It did approximately $20,000 in damage and the car wash will be shut down for about a week to 10 days.”

Miller said that no one was injured in the fire.