The 2012 State of the Industry Survey
See how and what other car care businesses are doing.
One of the best ways to gauge your path to success and longevity is to compare notes with others in the same exact field. In an ideal situation, you could visit your competition and ask them a list of questions. But, since that probably isn’t probable, we have done the dirty work for you. The following are the answers to a recent survey that went out to all of our subscribers. Some answers could provide you with ideas on what you can do improve your business (a.k.a. Should I be open on Sundays?) while others could let you know not to steer down a certain path (Is everyone else doing Groupon?). A few of the answers have changed since last year’s survey. For instance, according to those who responded, less companies are using Facebook, but more are using Twitter. Drug testing on employees is also up since last year. What might not be too surprising, and a sigh of relief for owners and operators, is that when asked if the volume of customers has gone up since the year before, more people this year said that it has, compared to last year. However, 23 percent of you admitted that you are in fact worried about staying open.
Please note that the survey is not a scientific study and Professional Carwashing & Detailing conducted and produced the survey using Zoomerang online survey software during August of this year.
To view the digital version of this survey, please visit the Professional Carwashing & Detailing digital site.
1. What type of business are you? If you have more than one type of business on site, which one is your largest profit center, in terms of revenue.
Conveyor carwash 35%
Self serve 7%
In-bay automatic 12%
Detail center 12%
Full serve 8%
Conveyor/Self serve 1%
Conveyor/In-bay automatic 0%
In-bay automatic/Self serve 6%
Conveyor/Detail center 6%
In-bay Automatic/Detail center 1%
Conveyor/In-bay automatic/Self serve 1%
Enter an answer 1%
2. Are you open on Sundays?
3. What is your busiest day?
4. What is your slowest day?
5. What is your busiest season?
6. Do you do drug testing on your employees?
7. Do you do employee background checks during your hiring process?
8. Do you use Groupon?
9. Do you use LivingSocial?
Not yet 18%
10. Do you use a form of social media?
Other, please specify 8%
Other forms of social media mentioned:
11. What are some of the green initiatives you have in place at your business?
Water reclaim 41%
Rain barrels 5%
Solar panels 5%
Other, please specify 11%
Other green initiatives mentioned:
Eliminating plastic bottles and
Eliminating trigger sprayers
Using a solid separator and an oil separator
Using smaller nozzles
Implemented water reduction techniques
Using biodegradeble solutions;
Using waterless carwash spray
Using soft start motors
12. Do have surveillance cameras set up at your business?
13. If you said yes to the question above, how many cameras do you have set up?
14. Have you had a crime occur at your business?
15. If you said yes to the question above, please answer what type of crime occurred?
Drug deal 3%
16. Do you have a website set up for your business?
17. What additional profit centers do you have in place?
Vending machines 55%
Pet wash 5%
Quick lube 8%
Gas station 6%
Ice Vending 5%
Lobby sales 21%
Other additional profit centers mentioned:
Restaurant, yogurt shop
Window tinting/windshield repair
Auto Body/Collision Shop
Floor mats cleaning
Propane tank refill station
18. What equipment are you looking to install in the next year?
Tire shiner 15 15%
Reclaim equipment 15 15%
None 45 46%
Other equipment mentioned:
Natural gas HOT WATER pressure washer
High pressure prep
Floor mat cleaner
Credit card readers
Simoniz Bubblizer Units
Buff and dry machine at end of tunnnel
19. Is the volume of customers up at your business since last year at this same time?
The Same 21%
20. Are profits up at your business since last year?
They are about the same 13%
21. What is your most critical issue as a business owner?
Hiring good employees 33%
Water regulations 4%
Water fees 5%
Electricity fees 6%
Equipment problems 5%
Beating the competition 15%
22. Are you worried about staying open?
23. Have you had an incident in which a Jeep or SUV (or other type of vehicle) sudden accelerated while at your place of business?
24. If you answered "yes" to the question above, did the incident cause an accident?
25. Do you monitor your carwashing using a....
Mobile phone 13%
Home computer 11%
All of the above 31%
I don't monitor my carwash remotely 36%