24 karat gold plating systems as an extra service offering
This is a very, very simple service to perform and one that a detailer can offer if there is a demand in their area. The retail market for gold plating is not very strong today, however, some dealers are in need of gold plating, such as Cadillac, Lexus, Toyota and Infiniti.
Be cautious when purchasing a system. There are systems on the market for a few hundred dollars. Beware. These are not what you want. You should have a completely automatic system with sufficient power output to get the job done in a fast and efficient manner. Some of the less expensive systems are not automatic, have a low output and do not apply the gold properly.
Look for a system that offers these features:
- Completely automatic, where you set the two dials, turn on the machine and begin plating;
- Individual plating anodes and plugs for the processes of chrome stripping, nickel activating and gold plating;
- Portable cart that has the power unit, chemical beakers and all other supplies right on it;
- A plating power unit that puts out a minimum of 15 watts and utilizes the linear pulse-plating technology, which is the best available;
- All the chemicals, supplies and accessories needed to do plating;
- A minimum of eight ounces of gold solution; and
- “One Step Gold” — a gold solution that eliminates the need to chrome strip, which is the most difficult of the three steps in gold plating. With this gold, you make plating a two-step process.