Ways to save energy
August 7, 2013
- Turn off all lights when a room is not in use. Place signs in the bathroom and equipment rooms reminding employees to turn off the lights.
- When washing towels, only run the washer when it’s a full load.
- Consider solar panels. Type in the words “solar panels” into our keyword search engine on carwash.com to learn more.
- Use a “smart” power strip in the office area that automatically turns off when not in use.
- Set your computer to “sleep” or to power off after a certain amount of time instead of using a screensaver.
- Get rid of the TV, which is a huge energy user, in your waiting area. Consider using a radio instead.
- Turn off equipment when not in use.
- Read over your energy bill closely. Conduct an energy audit (visit energy.gov to find out more).
- Check all ducts for leakage.
- Control the temperatures inside by installing programmable thermostat. Also consider covering the thermostat with a locked cover, or use a code for access so that only you have control of the temperature.
- As for saving water, consider using rain barrels. Place them out of site from customers and only use that water to water the landscaping.
- For smaller businesses, visit www.energystar.gov for even more tips.