Keeping Employees Motivated to Perform
CarWash College™ Tip of the Month
While attending the recent ICA show I had the opportunity to talk to quite a few CarWash College graduates. While almost everyone I talked to said the programs they attended had a huge impact on the profitability of the car wash location, they found that keeping people motivated to do what they were trained to do was the hardest part. This is often true, but it doesn't have to be that way. Let's look at how we can keep people motivated to do what they’ve been trained to do.
The following is an ongoing management procedure that will help in minimizing or eliminating any reduction in performance.Step 1 Plan
- Ask the person to explain the correct way to do the task in question.
- Make sure they say it loud enough for everyone to hear, if others are present.
- If the plan is correct allow them to proceed with the task.
- If the planned task is incorrect or incomplete, correct before the person proceeds.
- Person being trained performs procedures.
- Trainer makes notes on what's correct and on areas for improvement.
- Provide positive feedback on areas performed correctly.
- Give corrective feedback on specific areas for improvement that are observed at that time.
- Ask the question, "Do you know what could happen if you did not perform this particular task correctly"?
- If understood, go on to the next task.
- If not understood explain the negative consequences that could accrue if the correct task procedures are not followed.
Using this simple method as a way to keep people on track can be extremely helpful. When used, it allows employees to see what they are doing wrong and reinforces that the manager truly does care about them, and the customers.
Robert Andre is the President of CarWash College™. Robert can be reached at RAndre@carwashcollege.com. For more information about CarWash College™ certification programs, visit www.CarWashCollege.com or call the registrar's office at 1-866-492-7422.