• Erwin Zaban, a former chairman and CEO of National Service Industries (now known as Zep Inc.), and son of one of the founding members of the company, passed away at the age of 88 on July 6.
Zep is a manufacturer of cleaning supplies and chemicals, including those used in the carwash industry. He is survived by his wife, Judy, three children, and many grandchildren and great grandchildren.
• Jasmit Channa, co-owner of Doctor Detail Auto Salon, has been recognized by “Stanford Who’s Who.”
“Stanford Who’s Who”acknowledges professionals and entrepreneurs throughout the world. Channa was named for her work in the automotive services industry.
In Other News
• Mark VII Equipment Inc., has acquired the assets of carwash distributor Chem Tec West Enterprises Ltd. in the provinces of Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
Mark VII concurrently signed Chem Tec West as a distributor in British Columbia.
• Tommy Car Wash Systems has launched a new website, www.tommycarwash.com.
The new site contains more content than the company’s last site, including new tools for searching land, demographics, and soil analysis reports, as well as pictures of new products.
The redesigned site is also easier to navigate and has the capability to configure an entire wash package per the visitor’s needs.
• Sonny’s Enterprises Inc., is joining several other member companies of the South Florida Manufacturing Association to create a state-approved apprentice program that will promote manufacturing in America.
The program will provide both classroom and on-the-job training to aspiring mechanists who are recruited from local high schools.
Apprentices are paid an initial wage which rises at scheduled intervals of the four year program. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and high school graduates.
• Washworld, Inc. has a new distributor in the northern Ohio region; National Pride Equipment in Ashland, OH.
Trent Walter, president of National Pride, and Charles Collins, vice president, have over 40 years of combined experience in the carwash industry. In addition, both Walter and Collins have engineering degrees from Ohio State University. Washworld, Inc. is a manufacturer of in-bay automatic carwash systems.
• ecoJET Systems, a new manufacturer of touch-free in-bay automatic carwash systems, has launched a new section of their website to document the process of building, testing, and launching its first machine.
The “Follow Us” web page was previously only available to a select group of distributors.
ecoJET Systems is currently wet-testing the machine and intends for an early Fall release date.
• Super Wash, Inc., locations banded together to collect a total of $52,460 as part of a May fundraiser to benefit local food pantries.
For the entire month of May, select Super Wash® carwashes hosted the Food-Raiser program, wherein the company donated $1 of every “Super Wash” and $1.50 of every four wash token packages purchased from May 1 – May 31, 2010 to a local food pantry.
Founded by Bob and Mary Black in 1976, Super Wash is the nation’s largest carwash franchisor/operator with 315 self-serve and IBA locations in 21 states.
• Clean Car Consulting (CCC), a representative of several car care companies and products, now has a redesigned website, www.cleancarconsulting.com, that is easier to navigate and links viewers directly to represented companies.
“The industry is always looking for new products that will either reduce costs or increase revenue,” said Stuart Levy, president. “CCC works in partnership with companies helping them understand the market and introducing them to the best marketing and sales channels,” he said.
• Viking Pump a unit of IDEX Corporation and manufacturer of positive displacement pumps which are used in many markets, including the carwash industry, has been selected by the producers of the television show “World’s Greatest!…” to be featured in an upcoming episode.
“World’s Greatest!…” is a 30 minute show which highlights companies from around the world, as well as products, places and people. Each episode includes behind-the-scenes footage, informative interviews and visuals.
The company said Crown Point Productions, producers of the show, will send a film crew to company headquarters and U.S. manufacturing facilities in Cedar Falls, IA, to “get the story” behind Viking Pump’s success.
• ConocoPhillips Company., announced that a Kendall Motor Oil digital commercial created to promote its premium passenger car motor oil featuring Liquid Titanium® has been awarded a Silver ADDY® Award at the recently-held national awards reception in Orlando, FL.
The video, titled “Metal on Metal” was acknowledged by the ADDY committee for Sound Design thanks in part to TVP (Texas Video & Post) of Houston, who produced the commercial.
Conducted annually by the American Advertising Federation (AAF), the ADDY Awards is a national competition rewarding creative excellence in the art of advertising that attracts over 50,000 entries each year.
• Car Care Megastore, a car care product supplier business started by former carwash owners, has signed a distributorship and partnership agreement with Lucky Earth, a manufacturer of waterless and eco-friendly carwash cleaning systems.
Lucky Earth has been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers around the world including Forbes, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal, and Car Care Megastore believes it to be the preeminent waterless/eco-friendly carwash solution.
• AutoPilot Carwash Control Systems has created a handheld extension to its ProfitPilot™ point of sale system. MobilePilot™ has integrated credit card processing and receipt printing so attendants can simultaneously greet customers and process orders.
The unit has a touchscreen interface and keypad so employees can also view and modify the tunnel pre-wash queue directly from the unit.
• Alcon®, a manufacturer of solenoid valves and subsidiary of ITT Corp., has appointed Silverhorn Controls to represent Alcon valves in the Colorado and Utah markets.
Silverhorn Controls will represent Alcon’s manufacturers’ products and assist customers in specifying components and solutions that solve application problems and improve on engineering designs in a cost effective manner.
• Warsaw Chemical Co., Inc®, manufacturer of chemical solutions for the carwash industry, has created a new 12-page product guide for its Car Choice® Wash Products line of products. The literature features complete product descriptions for in-bay automatic/conveyor and self-service carwashes, as well as for Micro Drum® Hyper-Concentrates. The product guide also lists many products that are part of the company’s Green Line Solutions™ product line, chemicals that are specially formulated, produced and marketed to meet or exceed current green standards.
• AutoCareForum.com, an online discussion forum for carwash and fast lube operators, now has a customer review function for operators to assess manufacturers, distributors, service providers and products. The customer reviews cover quality, price, timeliness and overall satisfaction with the product or company. Companies can also place a direct link to any review from their website.
• SONNY’S Enterprises, Inc., has announced it is now the sole distributor of Eco-Fi wash material, a polyester fiber made from recycled plastic bottles, to the carwash industry. The fiber consists of only Polyethylene Terephthalat (PET) plastics.
The new material has the potential to help the carwash industry keep billions of plastic PET bottles out of the world’s landfills each year.
• The International Carwash Association™ is set to tour German carwashes and attend Automechanika 2010, to be held Sept. 14-19 in Frankfurt, Germany, and interested members can join the group for about $2,500 products. Growing our relations with our counterparts in Germany is an exciting venture for the International Carwash Association,” said Eric Wulf, executive director and CEO, International Carwash Association. “The spectrum of products and services in Europe and featured at Automechanika help define innovation and international partnership in the industry.”
Travel begins in Frankfurt and ends in Munich and will include a tour of Mr. Wash Car Wash, the Washtec factory and a visit to Oktoberfest.
Members who are interested in joining the tour can contact Megan Clark, email@example.com.