Vacuum maintenance tips
Follow these tips to make sure you are properly cleaning and taking care of your vacuum system's hoses and accessories for optimum performance.
• Inspect turbine bearings for exterior grease build-up and remove [clean] if necessary. Excess grease will attract dirt and it will be sucked into bearing causing bearing failure.
• Check turbine rotation and correct if necessary. Incorrect rotation will cause loss of air flow, pressure [suction] and can damage turbine assembly.
• Inspect motor turbine drive rubber coupling for correct alignment and proper tightness.
• Keep rear motor fan guard clean and free of debris.
• Inspect check valves for proper operation when two turbines are connected to one filter separator. Never operate one turbine only if check valves are not used.
When a bearing becomes noisy, replace immediately and never turn turbine on and off more than two times per day as the motor life, bearing life and coupling life will be shortened and warranty will be voided. These are continuous duty motors and are built to run all day. Turning on and off not only shortens the life of the motor and coupling, it also increases your electrical costs.
Tom Tucker Jr. is the president and founder of Vacutech, a manufacturer of vacuum technologies for the carwash industry. He has been hard at work in the industry since 1968. Tom can be reached at 1-800-917-9444.