- Message Boards
- Buyer's Guide
- About Us
In 1986, new rules were written for businesses that generate between 220 pounds and 2,200 pounds of waste per month. As a result, there are three levels of hazardous waste generators:
- Generators of 220 pounds or less per month (conditionally exempt). This equals about one-half of a 55-gallon drum.
- Generators of 220 pounds to 2,200 pounds per month (small quantity generator). This is equal to about five 55 gallon drums.
- Generators of more than 2,200 pounds per month (large quantity generator).
Let us look at these levels in more detail, according to the law.
To be conditionally exempt:
A generator must:
- Identify all hazardous wastes generated.
- Send them to an approved waste facility.
- Never accumulate more than 2,200 lbs. of hazardous waste on-site.
Small quantity generators:
Federal law requires that you comply with the 1986 and 1987 rules for hazardous waste management.
You must comply with all hazardous waste rules in 40 CFR 260-268. Visit www.epa.gov to locate the correct EPA Office in your area.