View Cart (0 items)

Self-serve

When all else fails, read the directions

One day a woman came into the self-serve wash and had no idea how to wash her car. I talked her through the wash cycle, letting her do the
Read More

Your self-serve toolbox

It may not seem like basic bay accessories ever change, but there really are some new and exciting options for your self-serve bays: Polished stainless booms; Z-style angle booms;
Read More

2007 Self-Serve Carwashing Benchmarking Survey Report

So what’s the real story here? Crime. It’s costing self-serve operators more and more. One year ago, our survey respondents reported an average net loss of $891.43 to crime.
Read More

Acid rain and the carwash

Recently, we had a customer come into the carwash and complain about blotches on his paint job. He wasn’t complaining about our wash or our facility, he was looking
Read More

Number crunching

A while back, I received an email from a reader who was thinking about getting into the carwash business. There was a carwash for sale near his home and
Read More

Smelling and selling

Of all the ways to professionally wash a vehicle, self-serve has the greatest opportunity to engage the senses and drive the overall consumer experience. Of all the product attributes,
Read More

To prep or not to prep

In a straw poll recently conducted by Professional Car Care Online™, 80 percent of the respondents said that express exterior carwashes should not engage in the practice of manually
Read More

Raising revenue with radio advertising

When I was in the electrical construction industry the president of the firm asked me to handle the advertising in addition to my estimating and project manager duties. It
Read More

Solve self-serve sediment odors

In a typical self-serve carwash, with a central basin in the middle of the bay, it is extremely difficult to have a satisfactory sediment removal and odor control system.
Read More

Site attendants: The better way to wash?

Is it worth it to pay the wages for an attendant? This controversial question has been around for a lot longer than the 18 years that I’ve owned our
Read More