BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — In Professional Carwashing & Detailing’s January feature, “Benefits of computer technology,” regular contributor Chris McKenna, writes about how modern computer systems can keep carwashes running at maximum efficiency.
“I have experience as an owner/operator for almost 20 years, and in my opinion, a car care business would have to invest a small fortune on bookkeepers, accounting sheets, etc. if it does not have a computer [system] with the capabilities to monitor and keep track of the day-to-day operations, expenses and profits,” asserts McKenna in the article.
Carwashes must invest in modern point-of-sale (POS) systems and software programs to get on track, he continues in the article.
“Owners and operators can choose from several different systems and functions,” explains McKenna in the article. “And most, if not all, manufacturers and distributors of POS systems will help carwashes make an informed decision based on their specific needs.”
In the article, McKenna shares five general factors owners and operators should consider before making their final choice on a computer system:
- Make sure the system being considered is PCI (payment card industry)-compliant and has a good track record (almost all computers now are fully compliant). If available, reference product reviews to get an idea of how the system performs for other users.
- When introducing an interface component to a carwash, make sure to consider any current computer-based equipment, such as an existing tunnel controller system.
- If your carwash maintains a lot of account and fleet service vehicles, look into how easily a new prospective system can be integrated and provide accurate, up-to-date tracking.
- Make sure you have thorough and precise time-clock management for all employees and that this management can be separated by department if needed.
- And finally, check into any associated Internet accessibility and security protocols.
Read more about the advantages of computer systems for carwashes here.