In his article “Shifting Gears,” to be featured in the November issue of Professional Carwashing & Detailing, Chris McKenna discusses how, as the auto industry begins to move away from fossil fuels, fuel costs will decrease and leave extra income in the pockets of customers.
McKenna says, “In the past, experience has traditionally shown that with low fuel costs come increased spending at the carwash, especially with items such as hand waxes, interior detailing and other ‘extras.’”
McKenna then suggests that carwash operators consider offering certain extra services that have recently become popular additions to carwashes, including:
- Pet washing. If you are interested in adding a pet wash, be sure to choose leading, reliable equipment.
- Motorcycle washing. This service is probably long overdue and it may well fit into or at least run alongside the traditional carwash model.
- Windshield repair. If you have window tinting services already set up at your facility, windshield repair may be something you want to look into as well.
- Dent repair. There are a quite a few shops that are offering minor bumper and dent repair along with other services such as a pinstriping, decal removal and paint chip restoration.
- Headlight restoration/renewal. This is a great add-on to any detail shop and can also garner you a name throughout your local community as the “go-to” spot for thorough and quality detail services.
The PC&D team created the following infographic to illustrate these extra services.