GABORONE, Botswana — Multi Water and Multi Waste have supplied and installed two wash bay water recycling systems at Molapo Motors (6,000 liters per day) and Naledi Motors (3,000 liters per day) in Botswana, according to The Monitor.

The biological water recycling system is the first of its kind for the country of Botswana, stated the article, and is designed to “recycle wash bay water for reuse in car and truck washes.”

The two installed systems save up to 180,000 liters per month, which is enough water to sustain 50 people, reported the article, and will also save more than $1,013 each month (10,000 Botswanan Pula).

Riyaz Arbi, director of Molapo Motors and Naledi Motors, came up with the idea as a way to reduce the dealerships’ dependency on water when washing vehicles, the article continued.

The reuse initiative is part of Arbi’s commitment to water conservation, sustainability and environmental protection, the article noted.

“This system is environmentally friendly and treats water, biologically, without any added chemicals,” said Andrew Davies, managing director of Multi Water and Multi Waste, in the article. “The system reuses 90 percent of water from the car and truck wash bay. The remaining 10 percent is lost due to evaporation and spillage. The additional water required to top-up the system comes from rainwater harvesting tanks that capture rainwater from the wash bay roofs.”

You can find the release here.